Wednesday, July 28, 2010

THR33

“Today I take you to be my partner in life and my second true love. Today I give myself to you in marriage. I promise to encourage and inspire you, to laugh with you, and to comfort you in times of sorrow and struggle. Through all of the uncertainties and trials of life, I promise to be faithful to you and love you, so that together, we may grow in the likeness of Christ and that our home may be a praise to Him.”



On this day 3 years ago, I looked into the eyes of a man and said those words. My feet were killing me and I really needed a drink of water but I was sure it was the greatest day of my life.

I was wrong.

Jason and I spent our engagement picking out flowers, reading books, choosing tuxedos, attending weekend marriage classes, and dreaming of “the big day”.

On our wedding day, Jason stood at the front of the church glowing (mostly from the profuse sweating) as I walked down the aisle with a great dad on either side. As our wedding ceremony progressed, we vowed that we will love and honor one another all our lives and that divorce will never be a solution to our problems. We both fought back tears and nerves and a serious case of the giggles to maintain our composure. We were just two young kids trying to stand tall in front of 150 people and make some extremely lofty promises to each other. Then Jason took my hands in his and melted our worries and nerves away with one small prayer. This day we thanked our First True Love for bringing us together and praised Him for the love he was growing in us. Best day of my life – you bet!

Through our first year of marriage we experienced…being married. We originally called these experiences “ups and downs”. We now know that a whole lot of “ups and downs” all lined up together and experienced side by side are marriage. Marriage is up. Marriage is down. Marriage is ups and downs. Please keep your hands and feet inside the car at all times and secure any loose articles before the ride begins.

Pick up your socks.

What’s for dinner?

Where is our money going?

I’m going to pray for you right now.

You cannot wear those shoes with that outfit – ugh!

Angie, get a job!

If I do the laundry will you fold it?

Close the door when you use the bathroom!

It’s trash day.

You used all the hot water!

I thought you were going to fold the laundry.

Angie, get a job!

I’m tired of cooking, can we eat out?

Our second year of marriage brought new jobs (finally), better communication, and 365 days of marriage experience. We pretty much had it all figured out by now. Jason doesn’t even realize there is a basket in the closet for his dirty socks, I will never remember trash day (even if I do, I probably won’t walk the trash all the way to the curb), living room dance floors are the most romantic, we spend too much money eating out, someone should invent a laundry folding machine, and we are still crazy about each other. Best days of my life – you bet!

So, as we celebrate our 3rd Anniversary, this is what I’m excited about:

Jason still makes me a better Angie. I can be more of myself and be more comfortable in who I am with him by my side. He knows that he will always come second in my life and loves me deeper for it. His leadership is selfless and inspiring. Jason has a heart for serving others that is contagious and I love catching it. The gift of our first pregnancy has humbled both of us, brought us to tears, and drawn us closer to each other and closer to God. So, I'll keep picking up socks, he'll keep taking the trash out, and maybe I'll start cooking more, maybe.

Three years ago I thought life couldn’t get any better and here we are – better. We realized that God had greater plans for us; plans that would be better executed if we did them together as a team, as partners. Now, we are being called to parenthood and called to raise children that are champions in Christ. We are excited to see the plans God has for us and the lives we can impact as a family of 3. TODAY is the best day of my life! (and I'm willing to bet tomorrow is even better)


Happy Anniversary, J. I still do.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.







Photo Attribution

1 comment: